We are a church whose worship, communal life, and outreach to Yale University and the wider New Haven community are inspired by the Biblical message of God’s redeeming love for humanity in Christ and by the power of the Holy Spirit. Our vision is to grow and be formed in the image of Christ, to be a welcoming, loving, obedient and flourishing church that loves God and serves one another. We exist to be the presence of Christ in our neighborhood, and a blessing to the nations.
We are Episcopal
As members of the worldwide Anglican Communion, we affirm orthodox Christian faith as revealed in Scripture and summarized in the Apostles’ and Nicene Creeds. Our corporate worship follows the Book of Common Prayer.
We are Evangelical
We affirm Scripture as God’s authoritative Word in all matters pertaining to salvation. We affirm the importance of personal faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, coupled with a commitment to growth in Christian discipleship according to the Holy Spirit. We seek to proclaim the Gospel in word and deed.
We are Ecumenical
All baptized Christian believers are invited to join us in Holy Communion at the Lord’s Table. Our worship and fellowship are enriched by many different Christian traditions.
St. John’s was originally a Sunday School establishment of another parish called St. Paul’s, which in the 1840s saw the need to accommodate the needs of its body of parishioners who were geographically far away from the parish. For this reason, our original location was on the corner of State and Elm Streets. Then in 1852, St. John’s Episcopal Church was founded. Founded with the mission to reach out to the growing New Haven population, St. John’s quickly established itself as a thriving community. To accommodate the fast growing church, the church moved to its current location on Orange and Humphrey Streets in 1895.
Located in the heart of East Rock, a New Haven neighborhood, and blocks from Yale University, St. John’s has always had strong ties to the Yale community, including Yale Divinity School and its Episcopal Seminary, Berkeley Divinity School. Several of our rectors have come from Berkeley Divinity School, and many of its students have joined us as parish members as well as ministry interns.
Our beautiful building has recently expanded with the addition of an undercroft that now includes ample space for children’s nursery, Sunday school classrooms, and a library. In addition we have splendid windows which add characteristic and historic charm to our building.