A great way to get more involved at St. John’s is by volunteering to serve during our worship service or with one of our programs during the week. If you are interested in serving for any of the positions below, please contact the church at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Parish Worker Paul Smith at email@example.com.
- Praise Band: under the direction of the week’s band leader, lead the congregation in several praise songs for the Sunday service. The praise band usually rehearses on Thursday evenings and consists of all kinds of instruments: fiddle, guitar, piano, mandolin, banjo, box drum, bass, harmonium — you name it!
- Choir: under the direction of the choir director, sing an anthem during the offertory.
- Taizé: under the direction of the choir director, lead the congregation in Taizé hymns, on instruments or vocally.
Prepare the altar before the worship service, and take care of the objects used during worship service.
Welcome people to the service as they arrive, and hand them a booklet. Collect offerings, and bring up the bread and the wine.
Help serve alongside the Priest, and assist in conducting the service.
Read aloud the Old Testament Lesson or the Epistle Reading.
Prayers of the People
Lead the congregation in the Prayers of the People from the Book of Common Prayer.
Assist the Priest in giving out the wine to those who partake in the Communion.
- Set-up: you and another volunteer pair up to set up for coffee hour, which includes brewing coffee, setting the table of foods, putting out napkins, and etc.
- Food: fruits, baked goods, chips and salsa, cheese and other spreads, popsicles, … you name it! If edible and too good to have by yourself, please bring them to share with the church.
- Clean-up: collect emptied plates and used cups, and wash them so that we will have clean utensils and china to use next week. Trash is also taken out.